Corn chips replace croutons in this speedy Mexican inspired soup. Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, halved and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 400g canned tomatoes, chopped
- 2 pickled jalapeno chillies, minced, plus 1 tbsp extra for nachos
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 litre chicken or vegetable stock
- 400g can red kidney beans, drained
- 100g can corn kernels, drained
- 400g cooked chicken, gently warmed
- 1 avocado, peeled, stoned and sliced
- Handful coriander sprigs
- Small pack corn chips
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated, plus 1 tbsp extra for serving
Heat oil in a heavy-based pan and cook onion and garlic until onion is soft.
Add tomatoes, jalapenos, cumin, salt and sugar, mixing well.
Add stock and simmer gently, partly covered, for 10 minutes.
Add kidney beans and corn and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
Heat oven to 180C, or use an overhead grill.
Shred chicken and set aside with avocado and coriander for serving.
Arrange corn chips on kitchen foil, scatter with grated cheese (and extra chopped jalapenos if you like it hot) and bake or grill until cheese melts.
To serve: Divide broth and beans between four warmed, shallow soup plates. Arrange shredded chicken in the centre and top with avocado, nachos, coriander and remaining cheese.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken, Cheese, Tomato
- Cuisine - Mexican
- Course - Main-course
- Occasion - Midweek dinner