- 250 g (8 oz) black-eyed beans
- 250 g (8 oz) red kidney beans
- 500 g (1 lb) sweet potato
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 large green capsicum, chopped
- 3 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup (15 g/½ oz) chopped basil
- 3 flour tortillas
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup (60 g/2 oz) sour cream
1. Soak the beans in a large bowl of cold water overnight. Drain and cook in a large pan of rapidly boiling water for 30 minutes, or until just tender. Skim off any scum that appears on the surface during cooking. Do not overcook or they will become mushy. Drain and set aside to cool.
2. Chop the sweet potato into large pieces and cook in boiling water until tender. Drain and combine with the onion, capsicum, tomato and beans. Stir in the basil.
3. To make the dressing, shake the ingredients in a jar until combined. Pour over the salad and toss to coat.
4. Preheat the oven to moderate 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Using a small knife, cut cactus shapes or large triangles out of the tortillas, brush lightly with the oil and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for 5–10 minutes, or until crisp and golden.
5. To make the guacamole, mash the avocados with the lemon juice. Add the garlic, onion, chilli, sour cream and taco sauce and mix well.
6. Put the salad in a large bowl or on a platter, pile the guacamole in the centre, top with the sour cream and arrange the cactus shapes on top.
- Main Ingredients - Beans, Tomato
- Cuisine - Mexican