Photo: Edwina Pickles
- 3 litres water
- 750ml white wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, lightly crushed
- 10 sprigs thyme
- 4 red chillies, halved lengthways
- Peel from 1 lemon, cut into large strips
- 750g mixed mushrooms (button, swiss brown, oyster, shimeji and king brown) cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 600g trimmed beef fillet, cut into four even pieces
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan
- 1/2 cup mixed herb leaves
- 4 lemon wedges
Place water and vinegar in a large pot with garlic, thyme, chilli and lemon peel.
Bring to boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes.
Raise heat and add mushrooms.
Once it returns to the boil, leave for 5 minutes then remove from heat and pour contents into a large container to cool down.
Once cool, strain and place mushrooms in a suitable container, with lid.
Add olive oil to mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and mix well.
Can keep in refrigerator until needed for 8-10 days.
Prepare beef by placing one piece at a time between two sheets of Go-Between (or baking paper).
Using a flat-sided meat tenderiser, flatten until it is about 1cm thick.
Barbecue or grill each piece on high heat for 30 seconds each side.
Place on 4 serving plates, scatter mushrooms at room temperature on top, followed by parmesan and mixed herb leaves.
Serve with lemon wedges.
- Main Ingredients - Beef