Photo: Marco Del Grande
- 250ml water
- 100g castor sugar
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 150ml purple beetroot juice
- 150ml olive oil
- 2 medium Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1kg purple beetroots, peeled and grated
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- 15g mustard seeds
- 3 small target beetroots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 12 small golden beetroots, roasted and peeled
- 5 heaped tbsp fresh goat's curd
- Picked tarragon and chervil leaves for garnish
- Sourdough bread to serve
- Serves 4
To make the granita, bring water, sugar, salt and bay leaf to the boil in a saucepan. Allow to cool and add beetroot juice. Place in a tray and freeze.
To make the relish, heat olive oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and garlic and season. Gently fry until soft, about 15 minutes. Add grated purple beetroot, red wine vinegar and mustard seeds. Cook on a medium heat until liquid has evaporated.
Blanch target beetroot slices in boiling salted water. Refresh in iced water. Cut golden beetroots in half. Place target beetroot slices on four plates. Spoon goat's curd onto plate and top with six golden beetroot halves.
Place a few spoonfuls of relish on each plate. Sprinkle over a few tarragon and chervil leaves. Scrape granita with a fork and spoon onto target beetroot slices. Serve immediately with grilled sourdough.