Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tbsp finely chopped herbs (parsley, thyme, basil, oregano)
- 1 anchovy fillet (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 lemon
- 4 large Portobello mushrooms
- Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 cup good-quality mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp chipotle in adobo sauce*
- 4 slices haloumi
- Plain flour for dusting
- Fennel pickles to serve**
- 4 large crunchy burger buns, toasted on cut sides
Mix butter with herbs, anchovy, garlic, curry powder and a squeeze of lemon juice to make a spreadable consistency.
Heat a grill pan or barbecue until hot, brush mushrooms with herb butter, season and grill for five minutes on each side, or until well cooked. Brush liberally with herb butter while cooking.
Meanwhile, mix mayonnaise with chipotle sauce and set aside. Dust haloumi with flour, cook on grill on both sides until golden and place on top of mushroom. Squeeze over some lemon juice and dollop with spicy mayonnaise. Add pickles and serve on toasted buns immediately.
*Chipotle in adobo are spicy Mexican-style chillis sold in tins at selected supermarkets and specialty stores.
** Fennel pickles are sold at selected food stores, or substitute any pickles.
Tip Leftover herb butter can be kept refrigerated or frozen until next time.
- Course - Lunch