Photo: Natalie Boog
- 1 large brown onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 3 sprigs oregano
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2kg mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup light cream
- Crusty bread, to serve
Heat oil in a very large, deep pan and cook onion and garlic over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add white wine and bring to the boil. Simmer for 3 minutes.
Add tomatoes, oregano, thyme, chilli flakes, sugar and tomato paste. Stir well and bring to the boil.
Add mussels. Cover and cook over high heat for 2-3 minutes, shaking pan occasionally. Using a slotted spoon, remove mussels as soon as they open and place in a large serving dish. Discard any that do not open.
Remove pan from heat, add parsley and cream and stir well. Pour sauce over mussels and serve immediately with crusty bread.
- Main Ingredients - Fish, Shellfish
- Cuisine - Italian
- Course - Main-course
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Family meals