Ocean trout, bacon and coleslaw
You can grill the bacon but baking it between trays makes it really crispy and adds texture to the dish.
Photo: Jennifer Soo
Have your say
- 8 thin slices streaky bacon
- 3 tbsp mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp vinaigrette dressing *
- ¼ red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 50g parmesan cheese, shaved
- 4 ocean trout fillets, skin on and pin-boned
Preheat oven to 150C. Place bacon between two layers of baking paper and then between two baking trays. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and crisp. Remove to paper towel. Mix mayonnaise and vinaigrette in a large bowl. Add cabbage, onion, parsley and parmesan and toss well. Season trout and grill or pan fry to your liking. Just before serving with the trout, layer bacon with coleslaw so it remains crispy.
* To make a vinaigrette, combine 4 parts olive oil to 1 part vinegar with seasoning of choice, for example, salt, pepper, mustard, sugar, garlic.