Culinary crossover: Okonomiyaki meets rosti in this fun fusion dish. Photo: William Meppem
4 potatoes, peeled and grated
1 small onion, grated
1 cup finely chopped cabbage
1 ear corn, kernels stripped from the cob
2 rashers bacon, rind removed sliced into strips
salt, to season
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ cup grated cheese
¼ cup Japanese mayonnaise, to serve
¼ cup finely chopped chives, to serve
¼ cup tomato sauce
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp grated ginger
1. Mix together the grated potato, onion, cabbage, corn and bacon, and season with salt.
2. Heat a 26 centimetre skillet or frying pan over medium heat and add the oil. Place half of the potato mixture into the pan all the way to the edge and scatter with the cheese. Top with the remaining mixture. You don't need to press the mixture down. Cook for 10 minutes then place a plate larger than the pan upside down on top of it. Invert the pan and plate to remove the rosti to the plate, then slide the rosti back into the pan so that the browned side is now facing upwards. Cook for a further 10 minutes until the rosti is crisp and browned on both sides.
3. Remove the rosti from the pan onto a serving plate. Mix together the ingredients for the sauce and brush over the rosti. Drizzle with Japanese mayonnaise and scatter with chives to serve.
- Main Ingredients - Potato, Cabbage, Bacon/Ham/Prosciutto
- Cuisine - Japanese
- Course - Main-course, Starter/Entree, Side Dish, Breakfast/Brunch
- Occasion - Family meals, Midweek dinner, Kids' cooking