- 1 free-range organic chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red capsicums, halved and seeded
- 4 fresh artichokes
- juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup baby shallots, skinned and left whole
- 4 garlic cloves, skinned and left whole
- ¼ cup whole green olives
- 2 tbsp preserved lemon, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp dukkah
In a heavy-based frying pan add olive oil over a high flame and slowly seal each piece of the chicken until golden on all sides. Set aside.
Smear capsicums with a tablespoon of oil and place into a very hot grill to char the skin. Toss into a plastic bag to steam until cold then remove outer skin and slice into 2 cm lengths. Set aside.
To prepare the artichokes remove the outer fibrous leaves and a third of the spiny top and cut off some stem. With a pairing knife, cut around the heart of the choke, removing a little of the outer fibrous skin. Cut each artichoke into 4 and sit in a bowl of water with lemon juice.
Place the chicken pieces into a bowl and smear thoroughly with the pomegranate molasses, orange juice, salt and pepper. Put this mixture into a heavy baking tray or cast iron pan with the roasted capsicum slices, artichokes, shallots, garlic cloves and green olives.
Bake for 40 minutes in a pre-heated oven at 180C, basting regularly.
Once cooked, serve at the table topped with a sprinkling of the preserved lemon, mint coriander and some dukkah, accompanied by some cous cous or soft polenta.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken
- Course - Main-course