Ox-heart tomato, prawn and basil salad
A light easy summer salad.
Photo: Marco Del Grande
Have your say
- 12 fresh green prawns (or 12 cooked prawns)
- 2 ripe ox-heart tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch watercress, washed and picked into little branches
- Handful of basil leaves, torn
- 100g Ligurian olives
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, washed
- 1/2 small Spanish onion, thinly sliced and soaked in cold water
- 1/2 tsp sumac
- Flaked salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 a lemon
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
If using raw prawns, bring a pot of generously salted water to the boil and add the prawns. Boil for about 3 minutes (until the meat near the head is white) then drain and rinse under cold water until cool. Peel the prawns and discard the head and shell. Cut along the back of the prawn and pull the intestinal tract out.
Cut the tomatoes into small wedges and put into a bowl with the watercress, basil and olives. Cut the cucumbers into small dice and add to the salad with the drained onion and sumac. Season with salt, pepper, olive oil, the juice of 1/2 a lemon and vinegar.
Toss well and serve on individual plates with the prawns.