Photo: Natalie Boog
- 1.5 litres fish or chicken stock
- 1 pinch saffron
- 100ml olive oil
- 2 medium spanish onions, finely sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 125g spicy sausage or salami, finely sliced
- 500g calamari, cut into strips
- 2 red capsicums, finely sliced
- 150g green olives
- 450g paella or risotto rice
- 1kg mussels, cleaned and bearded
- 1 cup shredded parsley
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, pips removed
Heat stock and saffron in a saucepan.
Heat olive oil in a paella pan and cook the onions and garlic until soft, for about 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Add sausage and cook 5 minutes. Add calamari and cook 5 minutes.
Add capsicum and olives and stir to combine. Sprinkle rice over evenly.
Add mussels and pour over hot stock. Cover and allow to simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked and liquid absorbed.
Remove lid, discard any unopened mussels and garnish with parsley and lemon.
- Cuisine - Spanish
- Course - Main-course