Pan-fried salmon with fried zucchini, zucchini flowers, chilli and mint. Photo: Marcel Aucar
4 thick salmon fillets, about 200g each, skin on, cut in half lengthways
4 small zucchini
8 zucchini flowers with baby zucchini attached
150ml olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
1 bullet chilli, sliced, seeds in
1 handful mint leaves, torn
1. Trim the zucchini flowers and remove the stamen. Tear the flowers in half and place in a bowl. Set the baby zucchini aside. Slice the small zucchini in half lengthways and then into one centimetre-thick half moons.
2. To a medium frying pan over medium heat add the olive oil and heat for one minute. Add the sliced zucchini and fry until golden. Briefly drain on paper and add to the flowers. Fry the whole baby zucchini until golden, drain and add to the bowl, along with the chilli. Season, add half the mint, toss and set aside.
3. Tip out most of the oil from the pan and turn the heat to high. Season the salmon pieces and cook for 30 seconds to a minute on each side, or until golden but still a little rare in the middle. Place two pieces of salmon on each plate. Squeeze the lemon into the zucchini mix and toss through. Pile on top of the salmon, scatter over the remaining mint, drizzle with oil if desired, and serve.
- Main Ingredients - Fish, Zucchini
- Cuisine - Modern Australian
- Course - Main-course