- 170 g (5½ oz) chickpea flour
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- vegetable oil, for frying
1. Spray six saucers with cooking oil spray. Place the flour in a bowl and stir in 2¾ cups (685 ml/22 fl oz) cold water. Whisk with a wire whisk for about 2 minutes, or until smooth. Stir in the olive oil and season, to taste, with salt and finely ground black pepper.
2. Pour into a heavy-based saucepan and cook over low heat for about 8 minutes, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cook and stir until the mixture goes lumpy and starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, about 10–12 minutes. Remove from the heat and beat until smooth. Working quickly before the mixture sets, distribute among the saucers and spread to an even thickness. Allow to cool and set.
3. Preheat the oven to very slow 120°C (250°F/Gas ½ ). Remove the mixture from the saucers and cut into sticks 5 cm (2 inches) long and 2 cm (¾ inch) wide. Pour vegetable oil into a large heavy-based saucepan to a depth of about 2.5 cm (1 inch). Heat to very hot and fry the sticks in batches until crisp and golden, about 2 minutes on each side. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on crumpled paper towels. Transfer cooked batches to trays and keep warm in the oven while the rest are being fried. Serve hot, sprinkled with salt and freshly ground black pepper and perhaps some grated Parmesan.
- Main Ingredients - Chickpeas
- Course - Starter/Entree, Finger-food
- Occasion - Dinner Party, Cocktail Party