Photo: Natalie Boog
- 3 medium beetroot
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 beurre bosc pear, sliced very thinly (using a mandolin or food processor)
- 50ml balsamic vinegar
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil, plus extra
- 200g fresh goat's curd
- 2 small ripe beurre bosc pears, cut into chunks
- 60g baby rocket
- 1/2 cup pecan nuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Leaves from 4 sprigs mint, torn
- 1/2 spanish onion, finely sliced
Preheat oven to 120C.
Place beetroot in a saucepan, cover with water, bring to the boil over medium heat and simmer, covered, for 40-50 minutes or until tender. Remove and cool, peel, cut into quarters and place in an ovenproof dish.
Meanwhile, combine 1/2 cup of sugar with 1/2 cup of water and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Remove and dip slices of pear in the sugar syrup then place on a paper-lined oven tray. Dry in the oven for 60-70 minutes. Remove to a rack to cool.
Combine remaining sugar, balsamic vinegar and oil in a bowl, whisk well, then pour over beetroot and toss to combine. Roast beetroot at 200C for 30 minutes. Cool, reserving juices.
To serve, place dollops of goat's curd on plates. Combine beetroot, pear chunks, rocket, pecans, mint and onion in a bowl. Drizzle with beetroot juices and extra olive oil and place on curd. Top with dried pears.
*Sliced pear can be dried on the morning of the dinner party. Beetroot can be boiled and roasted ahead of time.