Peposo beef cheeks braised in pepper and red wine
A slow braise can turn chewy morsels into tender mouthfuls.
Photo: Steven Siewert
Have your say
- 2kg beef cheeks, cut into 3cm cubes
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and lightly crushed
- 1 red onion, cut in 1cm dice
- 1 carrot, cut in 1cm dice
- 2 celery stalks, cut in 1cm dice
- 1L chianti or other red wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 500ml veal stock
- Polenta or crusty bread, to serve
Place beef in a casserole pan with garlic, onion, carrot, celery and just cover meat with some of the wine.
Simmer for 2 hours, partly covered with a lid.
Add 1 heaped tbsp freshly ground black pepper, tomato paste, bay leaf, remaining wine and stock.
Add 2-3 pinches of salt. Stir.
Continue to simmer, uncovered, for 2 or more hours until sauce has reduced and thickened.
If it dries out and catches on the bottom, stir in a little more stock.
When cooked, check seasoning and add more salt if needed.
Serve with polenta or crusty bread.