- 2 packets pizza base mix, or 2 ready-made bases
- 8 very ripe Roma (plum) tomatoes
- a handful basil leaves
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tablespoons tomato passata or tomato pasta sauce
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 400 g (14 oz) fresh mozzarella cheese, chopped
1. If you are using a packet mix, make up the pizza base following the instructions on the packet and leave it to prove. Heat the oven to as high as it will go, pizzas should cook as quickly as possible.
2. Remove the cores, seeds and juices from the tomatoes, chop the tomatoes roughly, then purée them in a food processor with 8 basil leaves. Stir in the garlic, passata and 2 tablespoons of olive oil and season well.
3. Roll out the pizza bases to 30 cm (12 in) circles and put them on oiled baking trays, if they shrink when you move them, just stretch them out again. Drizzle each with a little of the olive oil. Spoon the tomato sauce over the base, spreading it up to the rim. Scatter the mozzarella over the top and drizzle with a little more olive oil.
4. Cook the pizza for 5-12 minutes (this will depend on how hot your oven is), or until the base is light brown and crisp and the topping is cooked. Before serving, drizzle with a little more oil and scatter the remaining basil over the top.
- Main Ingredients - Tomato
- Cuisine - Italian
- Course - Main-course
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Family meals, Children's Party