Photo: Rebecca Hallas
- 1 1/2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 3 sticks celery and young leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 40g dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in a cup of water
- 3 cups chicken stock or water
- about half a stick of stale ciabatta or crusty white bread, cut into large pieces
- extra virgin olive oil to finish
Gently sweat onions in olive oil for 10 minutes or until soft then add rosemary, garlic and celery. Continue cooking until the celery has softened and turned pale golden.
Season with salt and add tomatoes, porcini mushrooms and their liquid and the chicken stock or water. Cook for 45 minutes then add bread and allow to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Drizzle with olive oil to finish.
This recipes is featured in the book, Autumn is available now in all good bookstores RRP $34.95. To order direct call 1300 656 059 or visit www.smh.com.au/store
- Cuisine - British