Photo: Vanessa Levis
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely diced
- 1 stick celery, diced
- 250g pork shoulder, minced
- 250g veal mince
- 200g pork back fat, minced
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 50ml cognac
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, toasted, plus extra
- 4 eggs (2 for egg wash)
- 75g breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
- 1 packet ready-rolled puff pastry
- Green tomato chutney
- 1/2 tsp green cardamom pods
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2stick cinnamon
- 3/4clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1.5cm piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 500g green tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/2 green apple, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2/5 cup brown sugar
- 1/4cup raisins
- 100ml cider vinegar
- 1/4cup tomato sauce
For green tomato chutney, crush cardamom, discard pods and crush seeds. In a large pot, toast cardamom seeds over a medium heat for 30 seconds.
Add remaining ingredients, except the tomato sauce, and stir. Cook for about 45 minutes or until it is nice and thick.
Stir in tomato sauce and season. Place in fridge to chill until required.
For filling, place some olive oil in a pan over a medium-high heat and cook onion and garlic until tender but not coloured.
Add carrot and celery and cook for 12-15 minutes or until very soft. Transfer to a tray and cool in the fridge.
Place pork, veal, back fat, chilli flakes, cognac, 1 tbsp fennel seeds, 2 eggs and breadcrumbs in a large bowl and mix well, and make sure it's all seasoned very well.
Add cooled vegetable mix, mix through and divide into 10-12 portions (about 80g each).
Cut pastry into 10cm x 15cm rectangles and place on a floured bench.
Place a meat portion longways into centre of each pastry piece. Roll into a cylinder shape and seal with a little egg wash along 1 side. Place in fridge to rest for about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 200c
Place rolls on a baking tray, brush with egg wash, sprinkle with extra fennel seeds and bake for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is nice and golden.
Serve warm with green tomato chutney.
- Main Ingredients - Pork