Perfect side: Cook until the top of the potatoes and cheese turns golden. Photo: William Meppem
1kg bintje potatoes, peeled, cut into 5mm-thick rounds and rinsed of starch
3 leeks, white parts only, washed and sliced into 5mm-thick rounds
1 large onion, peeled and sliced into 3mm thick rounds
2 heaped tsp plain flour
2 cups milk
freshly ground pepper
1 cup parmesan, freshly grated
1. Heat the grill element to high.
2. Heat two tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan. When it foams, add the leeks and onion and cook over low heat for three minutes to allow them to soften. Sprinkle with the flour, stir, and continue cooking over a low heat for five minutes, stirring. Don't allow it to brown.
3. Add the milk and stir well. Season with sea salt, and add a grind of nutmeg. Add the potatoes and cook, uncovered, over low heat for 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender.
4. Taste the potato mixture for seasoning and add fresh pepper. Brush a baking dish with the remaining butter and pour the potato mixture into the dish. Sprinkle the top with the parmesan and bake for about 10 minutes, until the top of the potatoes and cheese turns golden.
- Main Ingredients - Potato, Onion/Leek, Cheese
- Cuisine - French
- Course - Side Dish
- Occasion - Family meals, Dinner Party, Easter, Christmas