Potatoes with onions and pancetta
This hearty potato dish is the perfect accompaniment to everything from roasts to seafood.
Have your say
- 1kg waxy potatoes (pink eye, desiree, kipfler, royal blue, bintje or pink fir apple)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1kg waxy potatoes 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp pancetta, finely sliced
- 1 tsp chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
Simmer potatoes in their jackets in salted water for about 30 minutes until tender.
Drain and cool a little.
Peel and slice thinly.
Heat olive oil in a wide pan and fry onion and pancetta until golden.
Add potatoes and fry until coloured.
Squash potato roughly with a fork, add thyme and fry on moderately high heat, constantly scraping and stirring so they don't catch and burn.
This should take about 10 minutes.
There should be a mixture of soft potatoes with crispy bits.
Season and serve as a side dish with scallops, roasts or braises.