Prawn, lemongrass and coconut soup
A tasty and tangy Asian style soup.
Photo: Marina Oliphant
Have your say
- 1 1/2 cups fish or vegetable stock
- 2 cups light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 stick lemongrass (trimmed and chopped),
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 2 coriander roots
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 16 green (raw) king prawns (peeled and de-veined)
- Stir in 3/4 cup light coconut cream
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice
- fresh coriander, to serve
Combine 1 1/2 cups fish or vegetable stock and 2 cups light coconut milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp caster sugar and a pinch of salt and bring to the boil.
Whiz 1 stick lemongrass (trimmed and chopped), 2 cloves garlic (chopped), 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes, 2 coriander roots and 1/2 tsp ground turmeric in a food processor until finely chopped or pound in a mortar and pestle.
Add mixture to stock and simmer for 5 minutes. Add 16 green (raw) king prawns (peeled and de-veined) and simmer until prawns just change colour. Stir in 3/4 cup light coconut cream, 2 tbsp fish sauce and 1 1/2 tbsp lime juice and serve topped with coriander.
This recipe is featured in the book, Whip it Up which is available now in all good bookstores RRP $24.95. To order direct call 1300 656 059 or visit www.smh.com.au/store