Photo: Edwina Pickles
- 400g lamb or veal sweetbreads
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into
- 3-4 pieces
- 1 onion, peeled and quartered
- 1 stick celery, cut into 3-4 pieces
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
Place sweetbreads, carrot, onion and celery in a pot.
Add vinegar and enough water to cover everything by 3-4 centimetres.
Bring to the boil then reduce heat to simmer. Continue simmering for 5 minutes if sweetbreads are small (lamb) or 10 minutes if they're large (veal).
Drain and cool until they can be handled.
Trim of any fat, gristle or sinew and peel away membrane. This step can be a bit fiddly but is well worth it. A small, sharp knife may be useful.
Once cleaned, sweetbreads are ready to be used in recipes.