Queen of Nuts Cake; quality chocolate is a must. (Plate from Minimax) Photo: Marina Oliphant
- Butter for greasing
- 1/4 cup of finely processed breadcrumbs
- 200g dark couverture chocolate, chopped
- 150g caster sugar
- 150g blanched almonds, finely chopped
- 70g candied fruit (try quince or citron), finely chopped
- 5 eggs, separated
Butter a 22cm springform tin and coat with breadcrumbs. Preheat oven to 160C.
Mix chocolate, sugar, almonds and fruit. Ensure the fruit is evenly mixed through. Stir in the yolks. Beat whites until soft peaks form and fold a little into the dry mix, then fold in the rest of the whites, lightly but thoroughly.
Bake for about 35 minutes, until firm. A skewer inserted in the middle will show streaks of chocolate but the cake is cooked once it feels firm in the centre.
Cool for 5-10 minutes before releasing the spring.
Lift off the base carefully and cut with a hot knife.
- Main Ingredients - Nuts, Chocolate, Eggs
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Dinner Party, Afternoon Tea