Photo: MARINA OLIPHANT
250g basmati rice
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp curry powder
60g melted butter
Freshly ground black pepper
¾ cup frozen peas
4-6 spring onions, finely sliced
Crispy fried shallots (from the Asian section of the supermarket or Asian grocers)
1 handful coriander leaves
1. In a medium saucepan, briefly heat through the rice, cumin seeds and curry powder. Add 650 millilitres of boiling water, season and stir. Put on a tight lid and cook for seven minutes over a low heat.
2. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and melted butter together, season with salt and pepper. Take the lid off the rice and fluff with a fork.
3. Scatter the peas over the rice and pour the eggs over the top without stirring. Put the lid back on and cook for a further four minutes, then turn the heat off and allow the rice to sit for five minutes with the lid on.
4. When ready to serve, squeeze over the lemon, scatter over the spring onion, fried shallots and coriander and serve with yoghurt.
- Main Ingredients - Rice
- Occasion - Midweek dinner