Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 200g quinoa
- 200g red rice, rinsed
- 50g black lentils, rinsed
- 100ml olive oil and 3 tbsp extra
- 2 brown onions, thinly sliced
- 100g dried cranberries
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ¼ cup plain flour
- ½ cauliflower, broken into small florets
- 200g pistachio nuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves, roughly chopped
- For the dressing:
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¼-½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Salt and pepper
Cook quinoa in a medium pot of boiling, lightly salted water for 12-14 minutes until just tender. Drain and set aside. Cook red rice and lentils in a large pot of boiling, lightly salted water for 20 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Heat frying pan, add 100 millilitres of oil and onions, cook over low heat for 10 minutes until well caramelised. Soak cranberries in orange juice for 10 minutes until plump. Mix cumin, coriander and flour in a small bowl.
Toss cauliflower in flour mix. Heat three tablespoons of oil in a large frying pan, add cauliflower and fry over low heat for 10 minutes, until soft. Toss with drained quinoa, rice and lentils.
Add caramelised onions, with any extra oil from the pan. Add cranberries with orange juice, pistachios and fresh herbs. Make dressing with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper. Whisk well to combine, taste and adjust if necessary.
Add to salad and mix well.
- Main Ingredients - Quinoa, Lentils, Rice
- Course - Main-course, Side Dish
- Occasion - Barbecue, Picnic