Rare beef nicoise. Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 600g eye fillet of beef, rolled and tied
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 small chat potatoes
- 250g green beans, topped but not tailed
- 4 quail eggs
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 100g rocket leaves
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 12 basil leaves
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp black kalamata olives, unpitted
- 6 anchovy fillets, halved lengthwise
Heat a cast-iron grill pan or frying pan until hot. Rub beef fillet with one tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper. Grill or pan-sear beef on all sides until browned but still rare inside (about 15 minutes). Remove from heat and rest for 30 minutes.
Cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until tender, then drain and cut in half.
Cook beans in simmering salted water for four minutes until tender. Drain and refresh in cold water.
Cook quail eggs in simmering water for two minutes, drain, peel and cut in half.
Discard string and slice beef as you like.
Whisk remaining olive oil, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper in a bowl. Toss rocket in the dressing and arrange on plates.
Add sliced beef, green beans, red onion, potatoes, basil leaves, cherry tomatoes, quail eggs and olives.
Twist anchovy fillets and arrange on top. Drizzle with remaining dressing, scatter with black pepper and serve.
- Main Ingredients - Beef, Eggs, Green beans
- Cuisine - French
- Course - Lunch, Dinner
- Occasion - Midweek dinner