Photo: Eddie Jim
- 4 ripe tomatoes, cored and diced
- 2 Lebanese cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 red capsicum, seeded and cubed
- 1 red onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 small chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp medium-acidic red wine vinegar (or dry sherry)
- freshly ground black pepper
- sea salt
- 3 cups fresh tomato juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Combine the tomatoes, cucumbers, capsicum, onion, garlic, chilli, avocado, basil, lemon juice, vinegar or sherry, pepper and a generous pinch of sea salt into a stainless steel or glass bowl. Let stand until the vegetables start to soften and release their juices (about 7 to 10 minutes).
Stir in the tomato juice, cover and refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours allowing the soup to develop flavor. Remove the soup from the fridge at least 15 minutes before serving. Pour in the olive oil, add more seasoning, stir and serve.
Garnish with pitted black olives or top with garlicky roasted croutons.
- Cuisine - Mexican