- 200ml soy sauce
- 125ml rice wine
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks or pieces of cassia bark
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 2 star anise
- 2 tbsp shredded ginger
- 500ml vegetable or chicken stock
- 4 thick white fish fillets, about 180g each
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 100g green beans or broccolini, diagonally sliced
- 100g bean sprouts, rinsed
- 100g fresh shiitake or oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp spring onions,
- finely chopped
- 1 tsp sesame oil
For the poaching liquid, combine soy, rice wine, garlic, sugar, cinnamon, orange zest, shiitake mushrooms, star anise and one tablespoon ginger in a deep pan and bring to the boil, stirring. Add stock and simmer for five minutes.
To cook fish, gently poach in the broth for five minutes, then leave off the heat, covered, for five minutes until cooked through but still tender.
To cook vegetables, heat oil, remaining ginger and chilli in a pan, add green beans, bean sprouts and mushrooms and stir-fry over high heat for three minutes until well coated and starting to soften.
To serve, spoon vegetables into shallow bowls, top with fish and spoon broth over each fish. Scatter with spring onions, drizzle with sesame oil and serve.
- Main Ingredients - Fish
- Cuisine - Vietnamese
- Course - Main-course