Refried beans with chorizo
Fresh cheese*: This is a mild cheese. You could substitute mozzarella. Fetta gives an interesting, if not authentic, flavour.
Photo: Marina Oliphant
Have your say
- 1 spicy chorizo sausage,semi-cured
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 x 400g tins of organic red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- Sea salt
- Fresh cheese* or fetta, crumbled to serve
- Coriander sprigs, to serve
Squeeze small chunks of chorizo out of the casing and set aside. Heat oil in a frypan and gently fry the chorizo for five minutes. Add onion and garlic and fry for a few minutes to soften. Add the beans and mash roughly with a potato masher or the back of a wooden spoon. Stir to combine all the ingredients. Taste and season with salt, if required. Spoon into a large serving bowl and top with crumbled cheese and coriander. Serve immediately.