Photo: WILLIAM MEPPEM
- 500g canned tomatillos, drained
- 2 fresh jalapeño chillies
- 3 small cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1 roast chicken, meat and skin removed from the bone and cut into chunks
- fresh or fried tortillas (optional)
For the salsa, place the tomatillos and jalapeño chillies in a pot with enough water to cover and bring just to the boil.
Lower the heat and simmer gently, turning the tomatillos and chillies occasionally, for 15-20 minutes, or until the tomatillos are tender but haven't started falling apart.
Drain the tomatillos and chillies in a colander.
Place the tomatillos, chillies, garlic, cumin and a good pinch of salt in a blender or food processor and pulse just until the tomatillos are coarsely chopped.
Add the coriander and blend until smooth.
Return the sauce to the pot over a medium-low heat and fold the chicken through to gently reheat.
Place in a bowl and serve with fresh or fried tortillas as desired.
- Cuisine - Mexican