Roasted beetroot, cinnamon and pomegranate dip. Photo: Marcel Aucar
900g medium beetroot, washed well, trimmed and cut in sixths
Extra-virgin olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra
1 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp chilli powder (or to taste)
300g thick plain yoghurt
100ml pomegranate molasses
2 handfuls pomegranate seeds
1 handful mint leaves
1. Preheat the oven to 180C fan-forced or 200C conventional.
2. Place the beetroot pieces into a roasting dish, drizzle with oil, season with salt and pepper, add the cinnamon and allspice and toss through to evenly coat. Add a splash of water to the dish, cover with baking paper and foil and roast for one hour.
3. After an hour, remove the paper and foil and bake for about another 15 minutes. The beetroot should be tender and starting to caramelise. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
4. Once cooled, puree the beetroot with the chilli powder until smooth. Add the yoghurt and pomegranate molasses and process until combined. Adjust the seasoning, then spread on to a serving plate, crumble over some feta, sprinkle a little cinnamon, scatter over the pomegranate seeds and mint and serve with flat bread.
Drink: Lager or mint tea.
- Main Ingredients - Yoghurt
- Cuisine - Middle Eastern
- Course - Starter/Entree
- Occasion - Barbecue, Cocktail Party, Dinner Party, Picnic