Simple to cook on the stovetop, this potato side dish is easy to prepare. Photo: William Meppem
8 small new potatoes*, well scrubbed
2 medium red onions, peeled, each cut into 4
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
2 sprigs rosemary, leaves only
1 large zucchini, cut into 2cm rounds
1 tbsp aged balsamic vinegar
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
* new potatoes refers to potatoes that have been harvested early while the skins are still tender and papery
1. Put the potatoes into a pot of salted water and bring to the boil.
2. When boiling, add the onions. Remove after five minutes. The potatoes should be just cooked and the onions soft but not falling apart.
3. Drain and dry the potatoes and onions well. If using larger potatoes, cut into 5mm thick slices.
4. Place a frying pan over a high heat and add the olive oil. Add the rosemary leaves, potatoes, onions and zucchini and cook over a high heat for about five minutes, stirring, until the vegetables are well coloured.
5. Spoon the vegetables into a bowl. Add a good grind of pepper and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Check the seasoning and serve.
Serving suggestion: Serve with Neil Perry's ocean trout with smoked bacon.
- Main Ingredients - Potato, Zucchini, Onion/Leek
- Course - Side Dish, Lunch, Dinner
- Occasion - Family meals, Dinner Party, Christmas, Easter