For a complex flavour, strawberries are the dessert fruit of choice. Photo: William Meppem
1kg strawberries, stems removed
1/4 cup (60g) castor sugar
juice of 1 lemon
300ml pouring cream
1 tbsp icing sugar
3 tbsp Pernod Anise, pastis or sambuca
1/2 cup flaked almonds, well toasted
1. Heat your oven to 200C. Toss the strawberries with the castor sugar and lemon juice. Roast in a deep baking tray for 15 minutes until the strawberries are soft, starting to caramelise and release their juices.
2. Whip the cream, icing sugar and the aniseed liqueur together to soft peaks.
3. To serve, place a few strawberries with their juice into a bowl or glass, top with the liquorice cream and scatter over the toasted almonds.
- Main Ingredients - Berries, Cream/Milk, Nuts
- Cuisine - Modern Australian
- Course - Dessert
- Occasion - Dinner Party, Family meals, Christmas