Root vegetable soup with sizzled sausage
If the root vegetables are large then dice instead of slice, as the slices will be too big to eat. The cabbage can be swapped for cavolo nero, kale or silverbeet. This iswonderful ladled over thick slices of grilled country bread brushed with garlicky olive oil.
Photo: Marina Oliphant
Have your say
- 2 tbsp olive oil or butter
- 2 leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 parsnips, peeled and sliced
- 100g savoy cabbage, finely shredded
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 celeriac
- 1 1/2 litres vegetable or chicken
- stock, boiling
- 2 bay leaves
- Sea salt and pepper
- 4 thick pork and fennel sausages
- 3 tbsp flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- 100g freshly grated parmesan
Melt oil or butter in a large heavybased pot and add leeks, carrots, parsnips, savoy cabbage, celery and garlic. Cook for three minutes, tossingwell. Skin celeriac with a small, sharp knife, chop flesh into two-centimetre cubes and add to pot. Pour in stock and bring back to the boil. Add bay leaves, salt and pepper and simmer for 30 minutes, partly covered, or until all is tender. Meanwhile, heat oven to 200C.
Slash ausages three times and bake slashed-side up for 20 minutes, depending on thickness, untilwellbrowned. Add parsley to the soup and serve in shallowsoup bowls. Roughly slice sausages and reassemble on top of each bowl of soup. Scatter with extra pepper and parmesan and serve.