Photo: Marina Oliphant
- 200g plain natural yoghurt
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 garlic cloves, finely grated
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 salmon or ocean trout fillets, skinned
- 1 lime or lemon, cut into wedges
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- Fresh mango chutney
- 1 fresh ripe mango
- 4 tbsp shop-bought mango chutney
- 2 tbsp mint or coriander leaves, picked
- 1 small red or green chilli, sliced
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for an hour or so to avoid burning. Combine the yoghurt, ginger, garlic, spices, salt and lemon juice in a bowl, mixing well. Cut the salmon into bite-sized chunks, coat in the yoghurt mixture and set aside for 30 minutes or so.
- To make the mango chutney, peel and dice the mango flesh and mix with the shop-bought chutney, mint and chilli, adding a dash of lime juice if the mango is very ripe.
- Heat the barbecue to medium, and oil well. Thread 3 chunks of salmon onto each skewer (see tip) and grill for 3 minutes or until lightly scorched.
- Turn and grill the other side very briefly or until done to your liking.
- Skewer a wedge of lime on each, and serve with the baby spinach and fresh mango chutney. Add a dollop of extra yoghurt if you like.
Tip: Always use two skewers instead of one; it will stop the food from spinning around on a single skewer.
- Main Ingredients - Fish, Mango
- Cuisine - Indian
- Course - Finger-food