Easy does it: Brussels sprouts with browned butter. Photo: William Meppem
500g brussels sprouts, trimmed and cut in half lengthwise
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 tbsp unsalted butter
juice of 1 lemon
freshly ground white pepper
1. Place a large non-stick frying pan on a high heat and add the olive oil. When it is hot, add the sprouts, season with sea salt, toss to coat, then add a cup of water.
2. Reduce until the water has disappeared, allowing the sprouts to steam. Test them for tenderness and, if they are still firm, add a little more water.
3. When the sprouts are cooked, add the butter and continue to toss until the butter turns nut brown.
4. Squeeze in the lemon juice and remove from the heat. Add a good grind of pepper and serve.
Serving suggestion: Pair with Neil Perry's slow-cooked lamb shoulder
- Main Ingredients - Brussels sprouts
- Course - Side Dish
- Occasion - Family meals, Dinner Party