French classic: Ocean trout with smoked bacon. Photo: William Meppem
4 x 200g fillets of ocean trout, skin on
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 slices smoked bacon
3 tbsp unsalted butter
juice of 1 lemon
freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp chopped chives
1. Season the trout well on both sides with sea salt.
2. Heat the olive oil until it is just smoking in a pan big enough to hold the four fillets.
3. Add the fish, skin side down, and cook for about four minutes. Turn and cook for a further three minutes. Remove the fish and put each on to a warm plate.
4. Add the bacon to the pan and cook quickly on both sides. Remove and place one slice on top of each piece of fish.
5. Add the butter to the pan and cook until it turns nut brown. Add the lemon juice and pepper. Check the seasoning and pour over the fish and bacon. Sprinkle with chives and serve.
Serve with: a beautifully dressed salad, Neil Perry's roasted new potatoes and a bowl of seasonal fruit to finish. Potato puree would be another great match with the fish.
- Main Ingredients - Fish, Pork, Lemon
- Cuisine - French
- Course - Dinner, Main-course
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Dinner Party