Shaved fennel and artichoke salad. Photo: Marina Oliphant
3 large globe artichokes - choose those with thick stems
100ml extra virgin olive oil
2 lemons, 1 juiced, the other cut in half
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 large bulb fennel, reserve the green fronds
50g parmigiano reggiano, finely grated
Handful toasted walnuts, crushed
1. To prepare the artichokes, remove most of the outer leaves until you see the
light-yellow flesh. Cut off the top five centimetres. Trim the stalk to about five centimetres long and pare away the outer skin of the stalk to reveal the light-green inner flesh. You should end up with a thick disc attached to a slender stem. Remove any remaining tough outer leaves until it is a nice even yellow. Scoop out the hairy choke from the centre and immediately rub the entire surface of the artichoke with the cut lemon to stop discolouration.
2. Mix the olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
3. Using a mandolin, slice the artichokes lengthways very finely and toss through the dressing.
4. Slice the fennel lengthways a little thicker than the artichokes. Mix with the reserved fennel fronds and lay on your serving plate. Spread the artichoke slices on top of the fennel, pouring the dressing over the top. Finish with a generous scattering of parmigiano and the crushed walnuts.
- Course - Side Dish
- Occasion - Dinner Party, Barbecue