Sichuan eggplant with noodles
This recipe is adapted from one my daughter cooks in her school's kitchen garden program. It's a delicious vegetarian meal with a spicy kick from the Sichuan chilli bean paste. Add some minced pork or other vegetables for a variation.
Photo: Marina Oliphant
Have your say
- 4 small Lebanese eggplants (300g)
- 3 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 stalks spring onion, sliced on an angle
- 1 tbsp Sichuan chilli bean paste
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp cornflour mixed in a little cold water
- 100g bean thread vermicelli noodles, soaked for 7 minutes in boiling water
Cut eggplants in half lengthwise, then slice into 1.5-centimetre pieces. Heat oil in wok and stir-fry eggplant until golden. Add ginger, garlic, spring onion and chilli bean paste and stir-fry for 30 seconds until fragrant. Mix chicken stock with soy and add to wok with cornflour mixture.
Cook for about a minute to thicken the sauce. Add noodles and toss together. Serve immediately.