Silverbeet, spinach, yoghurt and pinenut dip. Photo: Marcel Aucar
80ml extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra
5 cloves garlic, finely sliced
1 leek, finely sliced
1 bunch silverbeet, trimmed of 3/4 of the stalk and finely chopped
3 handfuls baby spinach
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
250g thick plain yoghurt
80g pinenuts, toasted briefly in a dry frypan
1. In a wide-based pot, add 80ml of oil and cook the garlic until fragrant. Add the leek and cook for five minutes. Add the silverbeet and cook for another 10 minutes over low heat with the lid on, stirring through every now and then.
2. Add the spinach, cumin and paprika and, if the pot is too dry, a splash of water. Cook for another five minutes, season and set aside to cool.
3. If the greens are quite wet, drain off a little liquid, then puree with the yoghurt and half the pinenuts until you have a smooth paste. Spread on to your serving plate, squeeze over some lemon, scatter over the remaining pinenuts, dress with a little oil and serve with flatbread.
Drink: Margaret River Semillon.
- Main Ingredients - Spinach/Silverbeet, Yoghurt
- Course - Starter/Entree, Snacks
- Occasion - Barbecue, Dinner Party