Photo: Rebecca Hallas
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1kg broad beans, podded
- 1 cup crushed tinned tomatoes or two ripe fresh tomatoes, chopped
- ½ cup water
- salt and pepper
- juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- extra virgin olive oil, to finish
In a heavy based pan, cook the onion and garlic in olive oil until pale and soft. Add the spices and cook for a minute before adding the broad beans, tomatoes, water and salt and pepper.
Cover with a lid and cook very gently for 10-15 minutes or until the beans are just soft.
Add the lemon juice, coriander leaves and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and cook a further 5 minutes.
Serve warm as an accompaniment to meat, or at room temperature as a spread for crusty white bread.
- Main Ingredients - Beans, Tomato
- Cuisine - Italian
- Course - Side Dish