Dan Lepard's sourdough chicken meatballs. Photo: William Meppem
150g sourdough bread, crusts are fine, diced
2 large cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
1 medium onion, peeled and coarsely grated
1 tsp salt
50g butter, softened
2 tsp dried dill
750g chicken breast fillets, off the bone and chopped
1. Put the milk in a saucepan with the bread and boil until the bread is soft. Remove from the heat, stir in the garlic and onion and spoon into a food processor.
2. Add the egg, salt, butter and dill then puree until smooth. Add the chicken breast and puree again: try to keep a rough texture but with everything well combined.
3. Heat the oven to 180C fan-forced and line a large baking tray with non-stick paper.
4. Shape the chicken mix into 25 x 50g balls using wet hands. Place the meatballs on the tray and bake for about 20 minutes until piping hot throughout and just beginning to colour.
5. Serve with spoonfuls of tomato sauce and ribbon noodles.
Tip: If you need to store the chicken mixture for a day then make sure the bread mixture is cold before mixing everything together.
- Main Ingredients - Chicken, Bread, Cream/Milk
- Cuisine - Italian
- Course - Main-course, Dinner, Finger-food
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Family meals, Dinner Party