Spaghetti alla pomodoro
I love spag pom - spaghetti alla pomodoro - even more than I love spag bol, especially when it is spiked up with capers, anchovies and olives.
Photo: Marina Oliphant
Have your say
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 4 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 100g tomato passata (pureed tomatoes, not paste)
- 2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- good pinch of oregano
- good pinch of dried chilli
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped (optional, exclude for vegetarians)
- 1 tbsp salted capers, rinsed
- 20 black olives, unpitted
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil1 tsp sugar
- sea salt and pepper
- 350g spaghetti
- 2 tbsp basil leaves
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
In a pan, combine the canned and fresh tomatoes, tomato passata, garlic, oregano, chilli, anchovy fillets, capers, olives, olive oil, sugar, sea salt and pepper. Heat gently, stirring, and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes until thick.
Cook the pasta in plenty of simmering, salted water until al dente - tender but firm to the bite. Drain lightly and add to the sauce in the hot pan, tossing well for a minute or two over low heat until the pasta has absorbed most of the sauce. Serve hot, scattered with basil leaves and parmesan.