This homestyle sauce, made with pantry staples, has its origins in Naples.
Photo: Marina Oliphant
Have your say
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 4 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 200ml tomato passata
- 200ml water
- 1 tbsp small salted capers, rinsed
- 1/2 cup sun-dried or semi-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp small black olives
- 500g dried spaghetti
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
Heat oil in a frying pan and saute onion. Add chilli, anchovies, tomatoes, passata, water, capers, sun-dried tomatoes and olives and cook over a medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente. Drain, reserving half a cup of pasta water. Add salt, pepper and a glug of olive oil to the sauce. Lighten with a little pasta water, if needed. Add pasta and toss. Serve with parmesan.