- 60 ml (2 fl oz/1/4 cup) olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 baby eggplants (aubergines), sliced
- 1 yellow and 1 green capsicum (pepper), cut into thin strips
- 1 zucchini (courgette), sliced
- 400 g (14 oz) tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and chopped
- 4-5 anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 40 g (1 1/2 oz/ 1/3 cup) black olives, pitted and sliced
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) dried spaghetti
- torn basil, to garnish
- grated parmesan cheese, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onion, garlic and eggplant and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, or until the onion and eggplant are soft. Add the capsicum and zucchini and cook for a further 3 minutes.
2. Add the tinned and fresh tomatoes and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the capers, anchovies and olives and simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens slightly.
3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling salted water, following the packet instructions, until al dente. Drain well.
4. Toss the sauce through the pasta, garnish with the basil and serve with the parmesan cheese.
- Main Ingredients - Tomato, Pasta
- Cuisine - Italian
- Course - Main-course
- Occasion - Midweek dinner, Family meals