Photo: WILLIAM MEPPEM
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1kg large black mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small dried chillies, crumbled
- 8 green (raw) king prawns, peeled
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped, plus extra
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 400g dried spaghetti
Place the wine in a saucepan over medium-high heat and add the mussels.
Cover and steam the mussels for 4-5 minutes until they open; remove opened mussels from the pan.
Strain and reserve the mussel juice.
Add half the olive oil to the saucepan.
When hot, add the garlic, chilli and prawns.
Cook until opaque, about 2 minutes, then add the mussels, strained juice, parsley and the remaining olive oil and check the seasoning.
The water from the mussels may be salty enough; if not, add a little salt and freshly ground pepper.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti in plenty of boiling salted water for 8 minutes, or until al dente.
Drain and mix through the mussel and prawn sauce.
Spoon the sauce and pasta into 4 pasta bowls and serve immediately, sprinkled with extra chopped parsley.
- Cuisine - Italian