Spaghettini with crab, tomato and chilli
Both the spanner and blue swimmer crabs have sweeter flesh than the mudcrab. Getting to it takes more patience and for those who like to work for their food, it's a lot like gnawing ribs or sucking marrowbones. The reward is well worth the effort.
Photo: Rebecca Hallas
Have your say
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek, cleaned and cut into thin rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 or more chillies, thinly sliced
- 1kg ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 250g crabmeat, picked through for shell fragments
- 1 cup coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 500g spaghettini (thin spaghetti
Heat olive oil in a saucepan and lightly fry leek, garlic and chilli until leek has wilted. Add tomatoes with good pinch of salt and simmer for 15 minutes. Add crab and coriander and simmer for a minute more. Take off the heat and season with salt and pepper. Cook spaghettini until al dente, drain and toss with the sauce. Serve immediately.