Spanish pa amb tomÃƒ quet
This really simple but delicious dish of grilled bread rubbed with garlic, tomato and fruity olive oil is served all over Barcelona in tapas bars and cafes. I was hooked after my first experience but, like anything this simple, it needs the best ingredients: great olive oil, salt and the ripest tomatoes.
Photo: Natalie Boog
Have your say
- 1 crusty white loaf such as ciabatta (day-old bread is fine too)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, cut in half
- 2 ripe tomatoes, cut in half
- Salt flakes
- Title:To serve (optional)
- Slices of Jamon or prosciutto
- 1 tin anchovies (my favourite brand is Ortiz)
Cut the loaf into thick slices and either grill or toast on both sides. Drizzle bread generously with extra virgin olive oil and rub with garlic, then with the tomato halves, squeezing to get the juices out. Finish with a little flaked salt
Serve with slices of Jamon and anchovies on the side. Offer the bread as they do in Spain, on a platter with accompaniments for people to assemble themselves.