Spicy clams, Indian-style
This recipe has been adapted from Charmaine Solomon's Encyclopedia of Asian Food.
Photo: Marina Oliphant
Have your say
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 finely chopped medium onions
- 1 tbsp each of minced garlic and grated ginger
- 3 finely chopped red chillies
- 1 tbsp of ground coriander
- 1 tsp of ground turmeric
- 1/2 a teaspoon of salt.
- 2 cups of freshly grated coconut
- 3 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves
- the juice of a lime or lemon
Heat 3 tbsp of extra virgin olive oil in a deep pan and lightly fry 2 finely chopped medium onions, 1 tbsp each of minced garlic and grated ginger, and 3 finely chopped red chillies until the onions are transparent.
Add 1 tbsp of ground coriander, a teaspoon of ground turmeric and half a teaspoon of salt. Stir for a minute or so, then add the clams and cover the pan with a well-fitting lid. Continue to cook on low heat for 7 min or until the clams have opened. Discard any that haven't opened.
Place the clams in a deep bowl, sprinkle with 2 cups of freshly grated coconut, 3 tbsp of chopped coriander leaves and the juice of a lime or lemon.