Spring rolls: easy once you get the hang of them. Photo: Marina Oliphant
2 tbsp canola oil
1 clove of garlic, chopped
1 420g can of corn kernels, drained
1/2 tsp five spice
Freshly ground black pepper
100ml coconut cream
1 punnet of enoki mushrooms
1 punnet of wood-ear fungus
130ml rice wine vinegar
40g goji berries
2 cobs of fresh corn, cooked and kernels stripped
125g firm tofu, finely diced (3-5mm)
300g Australian cooked crab-meat
25 spring roll wrappers (about 20cmx20cm)
1 egg, beaten
Vegetable oil for deep frying
200g Chinese-style plum sauce
Prawn floss (optional, from specialty Asian shops or you can whizz dried shrimp in a spice grinder)
Coriander for garnish
1. In a medium frying pan over a medium heat add one tablespoon of the canola oil, then garlic and cook until fragrant, add the tinned corn and five spice, salt and pepper, stir then add coconut cream and bubble for a minute or two. Transfer to a food processor to make a smooth paste. Cool.
2. Trim woody ends of enoki and discard, slice each wood-ear fungus into three or four pieces. Saute mushrooms in the remaining oil in a clean frying pan over medium heat for two minutes.
3. In a small saucepan add 50millilitres of rice wine vinegar and the goji berries, bring to the boil for one minute.
4. Line up your ingredients: corn puree, corn kernels, tofu, mushrooms, goji berries and crab meat.
Separate a wrapper and place on a clean benchtop or board in front of you, brush three edgesof the wrapper with beaten egg, omitting side closest to you. Three centimetres in from the un-brushed edgespread one heaped teaspoon of corn puree leaving three centimetres free at each end, follow with about a teaspoon each of the other ingredients. Fold the un-brushed edge over the filling and roll tightly, compressing theingredients as you go. Halfway through rolling the wrapper, fold in the left and right edges and keep rolling, brushing the end with more egg before you seal the roll.
5. Empty plum sauce into a bowl and addthe remaining rice wine vinegar and mix. Garnish with the prawn floss if using.
6. Heat oil in fryer to 180C. Fry spring rolls until light golden and crisp, about three minutes.
7. Serve spring rolls whole or cut on a bias, with plum sauce and garnished with coriander.
Drink Pinot grigio
- Main Ingredients - Corn, Mushroom, Tofu/Beancurd
- Cuisine - Vietnamese
- Course - Finger-food, Side Dish
- Occasion - Cocktail Party, Dinner Party